Winters at the Bar W
Download Winter PDF
As a blanket of snow covers the valley - the valley is alive with a crisp clear sense of beauty.
The place to be during the winter, is at the Bar W Guest Ranch. Time will run a little slower – things will seem a little easier – and everyday will feel like Saturday.
You will find that this ranch and the valley community have it all. Some have called it the next Aspen or Jackson Hole and while maybe that is true – right now it is a great deal and a great place to be. Ski magazine ranked it 12th nationwide for scenery and 10th for value in it’s article on the top 50 Ski Resorts nationwide (October 2005).
Feel at home at the ranch and take advantage of horseback riding, sleigh ride dinners, square dances, snow shoeing, ice skating, ice fishing and at the end of the day take a nice soak in the hot tub, play pool, listen to music, read a book or just sit back relax and let Montana surround you.
For the skiers it doesn’t get any better than Whitefish Mountain Resort (formerly known as Big Mountain). With 300 inches of snow a year you’ll find this ski area has it all - terrain for all levels. From beginners to over the top experts, there is plenty of terrain on the 3,500 plus acres and if you’re a night skier, you can take advantage of the 5 kilometers of lit trails. The only thing it lacks is lift lines.
You can ski back country at Whitefish Mountain Resort or with Vahalla Adventures on the Stryker Ridge territory. Deep untracked powder, no lift lines, and as much skiing as your legs can handle.
If you are a cross country skier – there is over 200 miles of groomed trails. There are 3 trail systems within minutes of the ranch (two literally right down the street) and plus there is cross country skiing at Glacier National Park just 23 miles away. An easy drive, or take Amtrak right out of Whitefish – a beautiful ride. Ski all day and take a relaxing ride back. We’ll drop you and pick you up at the end of the day.
The Ranch is surrounded by incredible snowmobiling and has partnered up with three snowmobile outfitters who are standing ready to show you their trail systems and territories. Snowmobile up the back of Whitefish Mountain and have lunch at the summit.
Dog sledding is a must. Jeff Ulsamer and his 45 sled dogs are more then eager to please all comers. You’ll have a lot of fun and talk about it for years.
After a great day in the outdoors, come home to some of the best down home cooking this side of the Mississippi – Montana style. Meals are served with love and care and no one leaves hungry.
If that great book your reading is finished and you want to get out – the town of Whitefish can accommodate just about everybody’s taste. See a symphony, a play, listen to some live music, visit the Blue Moon and learn to two-step, or sample some of the best restaurants you’ll find anywhere.
- Winter Horseback Riding - Weather permitting we'll ride the 3000 acres of trails surrounding the ranch. Otherwise we can work on horsemanship skills and have some fun in the Bar W indoor arena. Take a horsemanship lesson, try pole bending, learn the basics of roping, or try your hand at barrel racing. It's all fun!
- Snowshoeing/Hiking - Bring your Snowshoes or hike the ridge overlooking Spencer Lake or take a walk back into the timbers to look for wildlife.
- Ice Fishing - There is plenty of action on Spencer Lake in the winter and ice fishing for big pike is a common place activity. The pike are said to be up to 15- 20 pounds - although the largest we took this year was 7 pounds. Some of the Whitefish folks tell some pretty good stories about the size of the pike in Spencer Lake. So bring your ice fishing gear while you stay at the Bar W!
- Clay Pigeon Shooting - Try your hand at shooting some birds - clay birds that is. Guest absolutely love this activity and you could be surprised just how good you can be.
- Sleigh Ride Dinners - Enjoy the magic of a sleigh drawn by horses. It is good for the soul. Drink hot chocolate or enjoy a dinner - it is up to you.
With all the Bar W and Whitefish has to offer, you are going to want to return, year after year. The Bar W and Whitefish are winter wonderlands - check out other area winter activities located just minutes from the Bar W!